Firm Foundations: Creation to Christ unfolds the story of God as teachers around the world have used the material to teach chronologically through the Bible. Moving through key Bible passages, these lessons progressively reveal truth about God and man, and the gospel and grace, that bridge the gap of sin.
Five teacher’s volumes lay out the following subjects: Chronological Teaching: Why and How; Lessons 1-12: Creation – Cain and Abel; Lessons 13-24: The Flood – Ten Commandments; Lessons 25-36: The Tabernacle – Plots against Jesus; and Lessons 37-48: Jesus calms the storm – Ascension. Aids include a time line, chronological maps; illustration posters for classroom use, and a DVD with slides of key points and illustrations for each lesson, in PowerPoint, Keynote and QuickTime.
This curriculum has useful in teaching settings for ages 12 through adult. The ready-to-use lessons are suited for the novice or experienced teacher. The lessons feature 48 lessons in 5 teacher books, and include printed and digital visual aids and 1 student notebook for teacher reference.
1. The curriculum confronts error by emphasizing biblical truth. Doctrinal issues such as the Trinity, salvation by faith alone, the deity of Jesus, and the reality of Heaven and Hell are discussed at length in the context of a chronological survey of the Bible.
2. The curriculum stresses the unity of the entire Bible. By understanding that the Bible must be taken as a collective whole, issues are placed in context. Heresies, misinterpretation, overemphasis of certain Scriptures, and denominationalism can, in most cases, be traced to this lack of chronological and panoramic Bible teaching.
3. The curriculum encourages interaction. While this is important for developing community within your church, it also helps the teacher gauge comprehension. Each lesson begins with four or five review questions from the previous week. Additional questions are asked throughout each lesson and are meant to be discussed as a group based on the verses that have been read.
1. Some find that the curriculum lengthy and are not willing to commit to the entire year of study. However, those who stay with it gain more appetite to know truth as the lessons progress.
2. Since the material is progressive, with each lesson building on previous lessons, it is not effective for students with sporadic attendance.
The material may be purchased at http://www.ntmbookstore.com/firm-foundations-creation-to-christ-s/1862.htm